Like Ben Thompson, we here at Six Colors are cobblers. We have used Memberful, MailChimp, WordPress and Stripe to build a membership program that lets us post free stories as well as members-only content, and then bundle it all up into an end-of-week newsletter.
Cobble is exactly how I'd describe the way I build my platform, cherrypicking bits of tech and chaining them together to build a somewhat cohesive whole. My publishing stack includes:
- Ulysses – where I write everything
- Ghost – blog, memberships (with Stripe)
- MailerLite – newsletter*
- StoryOrigin – author newsletter swaps*
- Zapier – cross-posting to social media
- BookToReader – digital content delivery
NB: I'm planning to end my use of MailerLite and StoryOrigin in coming weeks. StoryOrigin is transitioning to a paid service, and I'll replace MailerLite with Ghost for my newsletter needs.